Web lists-archives.com

Re: dpkg path-exclude (was: Limiting the size of installed changelogs)

On Sun, 16 Sep 2018 at 01:42, Marc Haber <mh+debian-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Sat, 15 Sep 2018 22:31:42 +1200, Michael Hudson-Doyle
<michael.hudson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>On Fri, 14 Sep 2018 at 23:59, Raphael Hertzog <hertzog@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 14 Sep 2018, Marc Haber wrote:
>> > Has anybody gotten dpkg path-exclude to work?
>>
>> Yes. It's been a long time that I have not used it but the main problem
>> is that to be effective the option must be used right from the start (i.e.
>> already at the debootstrap stage) otherwise you have to manually cleanup
>> the excluded files (at the time when you put the option in dpkg's
>> configuration file).
>>
>> (I don't remember if reinstalling all the packaes achieves the desired
>> result too)
>>

>It does.

Can you share some command lines and/or scripts and/or configuration
files please?

Ubuntu's minimal images run something like

chroot chroot dpkg-query -f '${binary:Package}\n' -W | chroot chroot xargs apt-get install --reinstall

after running deboostrap and setting up the includes. The gory details are around here:

Cheers,
mwh