Web lists-archives.com

Re: Please do not drop Python 2 modules

Le mer. 25 avr. 2018 01:54, Nicholas D Steeves <nsteeves@xxxxxxxxx> a écrit :
On Tue, Apr 24, 2018 at 12:29:54AM +0200, Thomas Goirand wrote:
> On 04/21/2018 11:19 PM, Scott Kitterman wrote:
> > Since we are supporting Python2 in the next release, there is no value> in dumping python-* packages now. Unlike many areas of the archive,
> > Python packages are actively used by third-party code that isn't and
> > won't be in Debian.
>
> There's always value to start de-crufting legacy stuff early. That being
> said, I hear your message: this is breaking 3rd party code, and we need
> to keep this in mind.
>
> > I'm generally in favor of getting rid of old stuff, but python2 isn't
> > there yet.
>
> Right. But I do believe we need to be very careful to not send a wrong
> message to our users. Debian deprecating Python 2 is good. A strong,
> bold deprecation message is needed, even if we want to continue
> supporting Python 2 for a bit more.

At what stage should Python IDEs uploaded to NEW disable or not
install Python 2 support?  Now?

Should Python 2-specific IDEs and/or Python 2-specific educational
materials be removed from the archive?  If so, then when?

Andreas, I've CCed you because we've been in touch in the past, and
because I have friends who do graduate work in bioinformatics on
Debian systems.  With the upcoming end of Python 2 in Debian, what can
we do to avoid losing them to CentOS?  Also, if appropriate and if it
wouldn't be too much work, does Debian have a role in encouraging
new masters and PhD candidates to choose Python 3?

I do not see your point here. Regarding education, using python 2 or 3 should be transparent. The matter is only to have the expected programs/libraries available in python3. The only issue would be for students not to have their favorite program available.
Anyway, py2 will not be supported anymore at some time...
Olivier

Sincerely,
Nicholas