What problem might happen when bumping soname without adding Conflicts:/Breaks:?
- Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2018 10:35:33 +0800
- From: Boyuan Yang <073plan@xxxxxxxxx>
- Subject: What problem might happen when bumping soname without adding Conflicts:/Breaks:?
Hello debian-devel and mentors, Recently I found a disagreement with my mentor about proper handling of library transition (bumping SONAME) and we agreed that we need some suggestions. Transition documentation (written by Release Team) can be found at . Some quick facts: * We have a libdframeworkdbus1 with soname 1; it is a standard Multi-Arch library: % dpkg -L libdframeworkdbus1 /. /usr /usr/lib /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libdframeworkdbus.so.1.0.0 /usr/share /usr/share/doc /usr/share/doc/libdframeworkdbus1 /usr/share/doc/libdframeworkdbus1/changelog.Debian.gz /usr/share/doc/libdframeworkdbus1/changelog.gz /usr/share/doc/libdframeworkdbus1/copyright /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libdframeworkdbus.so.1 /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libdframeworkdbus.so.1.0 /usr/share/doc/libdframeworkdbus1/CHANGELOG.md.gz * Upstream released new version and bumped SONAME to 2 * -dev package didn't change its name * My mentor suggests that the new library package (libdframeworkdbus2) should add the relationship "Conflicts: libdframeworkdbus1" ...and such necessity is not reflected in the documentation. My personal thought is that with "smooth updates" (as described in ), the old library and the new library (with different SONAME) should be able to installed simultaneously on any Debian Unstable / Debian Testing system without any problem during the transition. If that is true, the "Conflicts:" relationship shouldn't appear. The "Replaces:" relationship  should not appear as well because there won't be any file conflcts. We'd like to know that with transitions for library soname bump, is "Conflicts:" relationship needed / not needed in all circumstances and what problem might users / developers encounter if it is added / not added. Thank you very much. -- Regards, Boyuan Yang  https://wiki.debian.org/Teams/ReleaseTeam/Transitions  https://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/#s-replaces
Description: This is a digitally signed message part.
- Prev by Date: Re: Debian part of a version number when epoch is bumped
- Next by Date: Re: What problem might happen when bumping soname without adding Conflicts:/Breaks:?
- Previous by thread: Bug#894304: ITP: r-cran-manipulatewidgets -- GNU R package for more interactivity in interactive charts
- Next by thread: Re: What problem might happen when bumping soname without adding Conflicts:/Breaks:?