Web lists-archives.com

Re: What can Debian do to provide complex applications to its users?

On Mon, 19 Feb 2018, Paul Wise wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 19, 2018 at 9:51 PM, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
> > I don't want to lower the quality of what we have built so far, so while
> > it's technically possible to build .deb and include a bundle of libraries
> > pinned at the correct version, I don't think that this should allowed into
> > the main archive.
> The "not allowing embedded code copies in the main archive" ship has sailed:
> https://salsa.debian.org/security-tracker-team/security-tracker/raw/master/data/embedded-code-copies
> https://wiki.debian.org/EmbeddedCodeCopies

I know this but at least you have the sources in the source package. I was
referring to things like what I did in Kali for metasploit, it's a ruby
application. The .deb ships the metasploit code (available in the source
package) but also all the ruby libraries in a directory created with
"bundle install --vendor" and this includes lots of stuff... plain ruby
code but also binary extensions compiled on other systems and made
available as ready-to-download gems.

Binary packages:

Raphaël Hertzog ◈ Debian Developer