Web lists-archives.com

Re: sse{2,3,4.2}, altivec, neon, ...

On Sat, Aug 05, 2017 at 07:53:02PM +0200, Adam Borowski wrote:

> Thus, here's a proposed solution: in unstable, there's now a bunch of
> packages that do such checking in preinst, and thus refuse (overridably) to
> even install such software.

A big issue here is that install-time is different than run-time. I see
at least two possible scenarios where this construction fails:

- Motherboard dies, move harddisks to old computer with older CPU,
  suddenly things start failing at run-time again.

- Preparing a Debian image on a fast new machine, use the image on an
  older/embedded device.

Also conversely, trying to install something on an old machine, or in a
limitted VM environment, with the intention of later using it on a newer
machine, will now fail.

While you can do --force-depends to forcibly install a package, it will
result in apt nagging all the time about broken dependencies. Maybe a
debconf question can be asked when installing one of these proposed
packages to allow installation anyway even if the current host machine
does not support the requested instruction set.

      Guus Sliepen <guus@xxxxxxxxxx>