Re: User-installable Debian packages?
- Date: Sun, 30 Jul 2017 16:37:08 +0900
- From: Benda Xu <heroxbd@xxxxxxxxxx>
- Subject: Re: User-installable Debian packages?
Steffen Möller <steffen_moeller@xxxxxx> writes:
> I just had a quick look and it seems really nice, indeed! Thank you tons for
> pointing that out to us. Has anybody already tried that with Debian?
I am one of a few guys behind that project. Gentoo Prefix with its own
libc runs on Debian very well, the explicity tested distributions are
The highlights are:
1. you can compile almost any package available in Gentoo.
2. you can run x86 Gentoo Prefix on a amd64 Debian, thus another form
The downside compared to Debian and any binary distribution is that,
everything need to be compiled from source. That's slow.
A preliminary draft has been prepared to discuss its use on HPC
Alternative projects are _spack_ and _easybuild_, with slightly
different motivations and implementations.