Bug#869875: ITP: woeusb -- Bootable USB Storage Creator for Windows Installer/PE
- Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2017 18:12:49 +0800
- From: 林博仁 <Buo.Ren.Lin@xxxxxxxxx>
- Subject: Bug#869875: ITP: woeusb -- Bootable USB Storage Creator for Windows Installer/PE
Owner: "林博仁" <Buo.Ren.Lin@xxxxxxxxx>
* Package name : woeusb
Version : 2.1.2(and future releases)
Upstream Author : slacka <https://github.com/slacka>, 林博仁
<Buo.Ren.Lin@xxxxxxxxx> et.al, refer
<https://github.com/slacka/WoeUSB/graphs/contributors> for the full list.
WinUSB(the source of the fork) author is Colin GILLE / congelli501
* URL : https://github.com/slacka/WoeUSB
* License : GPL v3
Programming Lang: Bash(core), C++(GUI wrapper based on WxWidgets)
Description : Bootable USB Storage Creator for Windows Installer/PE
This package contains two programs:
- woeusb: a simple Bash script that enables you to create your own bootable
Windows installation USB storage device from an existing Windows Installation
DVD or its ISO image.
- woeusbgui: woeusb's GUI wrapper based on WxWidgets
Supported images: Windows Vista, Seven, 8 installer
for any language and any version (home, pro...)
and Windows PE.
This software is a fork of Colin GILLE / congelli501's WinUSB software.
- why is this package useful/relevant?
It allows debian users to create USB Windows installer easily without
resorting to a Windows machine.
- is it a dependency for another package?
- do you use it?
Yes. This application is often needed for re-installing collegue/family
- if there are other packages providing similar functionality, how does it
It's possible to achive the same goal by meddling with `parted`, `grub` etc,
however this requires advanced knowlege to disk partitioning and OS
- how do you plan to maintain it?
As I am one of the upstream developers the debianization of this package
will be simultaneously maintained in the upstream codebase. The changes
specifically required by Debian may be maintained in a separated branch or code