Web lists-archives.com

Re: Please add lzip support in the repository

Paul Wise wrote...

> On Thu, Jun 15, 2017 at 9:05 PM, Christoph Biedl wrote:
> > I'm not keen on extending regular expressions like
> >
> >     \.(gz|bz2|lzma|xz)$
> >
> > that I have in many places again and again.
> That sort of hard-coding should stop,

Understandable and desirable, but perhaps it's just me: Quite often I
find myself in the situation where I have to poke things on a much
lower level than I'm comfortable with. Because the tools and/or libraries
are just painfully slow or don't even exist at all. There still might be
something in devscripts - where so many things are hidden I wasn't even
surprised to find the Amber Chamber - but at some point it seems easier
to hack something together instead of looking around whether there's
something available for the job.

> if you see it somewhere please
> switch to using apt, either via the apt libraries or via apt-helper
> cat-file.

How would that help me in the situation as above?

    The correct recommendation was to use