When do we update the homepage to a modern design? (was Re: Moving away from (unsupportable) FusionForge on Alioth)
- Date: Thu, 18 May 2017 14:37:33 +0200
- From: Elisa Godoy de Castro Guerra <elisa.dcg@xxxxxxxxx>
- Subject: When do we update the homepage to a modern design? (was Re: Moving away from (unsupportable) FusionForge on Alioth)
Hi,My name is elisa, Sorry for my english...
I participate to the BSP debian meeting in paris last week end.
I propose a little webpage.
I would love finish this work to fit for your need.
I dit it very quickly on last sunday in collaboration with the all local team.
I would be happy to help anyone or take in charge this task.
On Mon, 2017-05-15 at 11:19 +0200, Arturo Borrero Gonzalez wrote: > On 14 May 2017 at 11:58, lumin <cdluminate@xxxxxxxxx> wrote: > > On the other hand, I fancy modern platforms such > > as Gitlab, as a user. And wondering when Debian > > will update its homepage (www.d.o) to a modern > > design. > > > >  This is off-thread, but some of my young > > friends just gave up trying Debian at the > > first glance at our homepage. > > off-thread, yes. But please spawn another thread to talk about this > real issue. > Our users are really complaining about our look&feel in the web and > we > should address it. I'm looking forward to a new design of our homepage, but I'm not able to help since not familiar to this field. Take a look at the homepages of major distros: https://www.archlinux.org/ https://www.centos.org/ https://www.opensuse.org/ https://manjaro.org/ https://www.ubuntu.com/ https://getfedora.org/ https://linuxmint.com/ https://gentoo.org/ Especially look at the homepage of Gentoo. Some of you must remember the old gentoo homepage, but now gentoo has a way much prettier face. Then look at ours https://www.debian.org/ We are the last major distro that move to systemd as the default init system. And now we are the last major distro that keeps an old design of homepage. Debian is a community that driven by volunteers. I believe volunteers are working hard for community at the points they are interested in. I guess, possibly there are too few volunteers able/intend to update the design, so the homepage is just kept as is. If none of the volunteers is willing to contribute a new design, what about spend some money to hire several worker working on this. neilm pointed out that we don't know how to spend our money at Debconf16, that we don't know how to spend our money. Making the community better is a good reason for doing so, since a modern design may attract more users/contributors, and is less likely to scare newbies away ... Even if Debian is ranked number 2 at distrowatch.Elisa de Castro Guerra
- Prev by Date: Re: Moving away from (unsupportable) FusionForge on Alioth?
- Next by Date: Re: When do we update the homepage to a modern design? (was Re: Moving away from (unsupportable) FusionForge on Alioth)
- Previous by thread: Bug#862828: ITP: quorum -- QUality Optimized Reads of genomic sequences
- Next by thread: Re: When do we update the homepage to a modern design? (was Re: Moving away from (unsupportable) FusionForge on Alioth)