Web lists-archives.com

Re: [stretch] mc-4.8.18 broken, but fixed mc-4.8.19 released 5 March




On Sun, Apr 02, 2017 at 04:15:41PM -0400, Felix Miata wrote:
> Wouter Verhelst composed on 2017-04-02 20:59 (UTC+0200):
> 
> > On Fri, Mar 31, 2017 at 05:24:53PM -0400, Felix Miata wrote:
> 
> > > Andrey Rahmatullin composed on 2017-04-01 01:49 (UTC+0500):
> 
> > > > On Fri, Mar 31, 2017 at 04:30:28PM -0400, Felix Miata wrote:
> 
> > > > > Andrey Rahmatullin composed on 2017-03-24 21:18 (UTC+0500):
> 
> > > > > > Start with reporting this bug at our BTS.
> > > > > http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=858808
> 
> > (You got the version number wrong; I fixed that for you)
> 
> ???
> 
> According to https://midnight-commander.org/ the current broken version is
> 4.8.18, same as the app reports in its help screen.

What matters for the Debian BTS is the Debian version, not the upstream
version (although it's part of the Debian version)

> Filing a report from a
> different machine there's no good way to know whatever additions the package
> management system may have tacked on, or is there?

http://packages.debian.org can show you.

(this isn't critical however, as that metadata can be fixed -- as I did
for you)

> > > > As the bug severity is normal this won't be included in stretch, see
> > > > https://release.debian.org/stretch/freeze_policy.html
> > > > If you say it's broken maybe you've chosen a wrong severity?
> 
> > > The right severity doesn't exist: nuisance; for 5 years, because Stretch
> > > will be LTS. MC doesn't have an alpha, beta, final release program, so its
> > > bug fixes always have to wait for another release unless someone backports.
> 
> > Yes, but that's obviously not how Debian works. If you want to get this
> > fix into Stretch, you have to convince the release managers and/or the
> > Debian maintainer for mc that the bug is problematic enough that either
> > backporting the fix for that bug, or updating the package to the new
> > version, is worth it in spite of our release policy.
> 
> How does one go about that?

You already did the first step -- file a bug. Give the maintainer a few
days to reply to it.

> > Whether that is the case for this particular bug isn't entirely clear.
> > This is a pretty annoying issue; but from reading the bug report that
> > you filed upstream, it doesn't feel like it's something that occurs in
> > the default configuration.
> If you mean by "default configuration" a new installation and no previously
> saved settings rather than an upgrade, the bug is not apparent. However,
> after update from <4.8.18 to 4.8.18, the "default configuration" is to use
> the saved settings, which is why this bug manifests. The valid saved setting
> is improperly applied *every* time mc is started, not just on a first use.

You want to have that argument with the maintainer and/or the release
managers, not with me ;-)

-- 
< ron> I mean, the main *practical* problem with C++, is there's like a dozen
       people in the world who think they really understand all of its rules,
       and pretty much all of them are just lying to themselves too.
 -- #debian-devel, OFTC, 2016-02-12