setup: why consult registry (rootdir) if -R has been specified?
- Date: Thu, 04 Apr 2019 12:09:28 +0200
- From: Houder <houder@xxxxxxxxx>
- Subject: setup: why consult registry (rootdir) if -R has been specified?
My question is about setup.exe. Why does setup _initially_ consult
rootdir in registry if -R <rootdir> has been specified ?
(and yes, there is an installation at the rootdir that I specify
w/ the -R option)
This is my workflow:
- I use a shortcut to invoke setup.exe
- my shortcut specifies -R and -l (i.c. root directory and local
E:\_cygwin64_repository\setup-2.897-x86_64.exe -n -R e:/Cygwin64 \
(start directory: E:\_cygwin64_repository)
- updating occurs in two steps:
1. download (w/o installing) to local directory
2. install fr. local directory
- I am using multiple 64-bits installations (installing packages
from a specific local directory, dependent on the _chosen_ root
e:/_cygwin64_repository => e:/Cygwin64
e:/_cygwin64-test_repository => e:/Cygwin64-test
I understand the need for
- /etc/setup/installed.db ("what is installed"), and
- last cache (aka local directory or repository)
- last mirror
- last action
/HKLM/Software/Cygwin/setup in registry shows the root directory:
key = rootdir, value = e:\Cygwin64
key = rootdir, value = e:\Cygwin64-test
The value in registry changes if I "install fr. local directory"
and if I complete this step (next, next (ok), finish).
In all other cases, the value remains UNchanged.
/etc/setup/setup.rc in the root directory is updated after each
invocation of setup; that is, the root directory corresponding
to the directory specified w/ the -R option. Splendid.
However when I invoke setup (using the shortcut), setup appears
to consult /etc/setup/setup.rc in the root directory as specified
by the registry, NOT as specified by the -R option.
As result, setup (nearly) always shows _ME_ the WRONG last action
when it is started (as I switch a _lot_ between the installations
that I have).
Why does setup _initially_ ignore the root directory as specified
by the -R option, showing (me) the wrong last action (in my case)?
Problem reports: http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Unsubscribe info: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple