Web lists-archives.com

Re: 32 bit vs 64 bit Cygwin, followup

On Thu, Nov 29, 2018 at 3:58 AM Corinna Vinschen
<corinna-cygwin@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Please, no top-posting.
>
> On Nov 28 11:06, Sam Habiel wrote:
> > Yaakov,

> > > -mabi=sysv ?
> > >
> > Are you telling me that gcc has a flag to support AMD ABI on Cygwin
> > x64? The assembly code is not standalone; it gets called from C code
> > and calls C code.
>
> That's what he's telling you.  However, you have to interact with the MS
> ABI(*) as well as soon as you call external library functions so it
> makes sense to keep your C code in MS ABI.  For the assembler functions,
> you can just tell the compiler they are in SYSV ABI by adding a function
> attribute to the declaration:
>
> int asm_func (args) __attribute__ ((sysv_abi))
>
> Good luck,
> Corinna
>
> (*) Just keep in mind that Cygwin is LP64, not LLP64:
>     https://cygwin.com/faq/faq.html#faq.programming.64bitporting
>
> --
> Corinna Vinschen
> Cygwin Maintainer

I use Gmail. Woe is me. And I stick with the defaults. A bit hard to
not top post due to my typical habits. Sorry!

Thank you for your reply Corinna.

This sounds very promising, but I would like a clarification; because
I think you covered 50% of the issue:

1. There are frequent calls from the C code to Assembly.
2. There are also frequent calls from Assembly to C code.

Looks like compiling the .s files with the -mabi=sysv flag and
declaring the function in C with the __attribute__ ((sysv_abi)) will
fix #1.

How about #2? I don't see an easy solution. The assembly code puts
together the parameters in the registers in the sysv way (rdi, rsi,
rdx, rcx, r8, r9), not rcx, rdx, r8, and r9.

Here's an example call:
https://github.com/shabiel/fis-gtm/blob/master/sr_x86_64/opp_tstart.s;
all the other asm code is in the same folder.

--Sam