update request for whois
- Date: Wed, 07 Nov 2018 15:54:47 -0500
- From: "Richard Beels via cygwin" <cygwin@xxxxxxxxxx>
- Subject: update request for whois
Could we get an update to whois? 5.4.0 was released a couple weeks
ago, 5.3.2 back in July.
The current package of 5.2.10 was released > 3 years ago:
There are a couple significant issues with 5.2.10.
1. requires 2 lookups to get to the thick record,. this was reported
before - https://sourceware.org/ml/cygwin/2017-08/msg00225.html
2. .com queries almost always return an exit code of 1 upon success.
https://github.com/rfc1036/whois/issues/54 , also #s 55,56,57
As an aside, I don't know if I would title it "whois: GNU Whois
(installed binaries and support files)" since "GNU whois" seems to be
something named jwhois, which is a whole different dead-end of a
project that hasn't been updated in over a decade. And the author
doesn't identify it as "GNU whois", even though he releases it under gpl2.
Problem reports: http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Unsubscribe info: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple