Re: libharfbuzz0 1.7.6-1 update causing xwin-xdg-menu.exe to crash
- Date: Mon, 14 May 2018 12:05:13 -0500
- From: Gilles Detillieux <grdetil@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
- Subject: Re: libharfbuzz0 1.7.6-1 update causing xwin-xdg-menu.exe to crash
Thanks, Jon. The local.conf blacklist rule worked like a charm!
It's odd that the fontconfig packages appear not to have been built with
the latest stable gcc release, but so long as it's just this one
(unneeded) font that's causing the headaches I'll just keep blacklisting
it on our systems.
On 2018-05-12 09:23, Jon Turney wrote:
On 26/04/2018 16:40, Gilles Detillieux wrote:
On 2018-04-26 09:03, Jon Turney wrote:
On 19/04/2018 22:15, Gilles Detillieux wrote:
Has anybody else run into this problem? I've done two installations
of Cygwin/X on Windows 10 systems this week, and they both had
problems with the XWin Server dying just a few seconds after
starting up. I traced the problem back to xwin-xdg-menu.exe getting
a Segmentation fault, which then causes XWin Server to exit. I
hacked an alternate .startxwinrc file to prevent XWin Server from
dying (it ends with a "sleep infinity"), so I could debug it further.
With the XWin Server running reliably, I then ran "strace
xwin-xdg-menu.exe" and saw that it got a segmentation fault just
after reading a TTF font from the Windows Font directory
(bahnschrift.ttf if it matters). I noticed there were two recent
library updates related to font handling, so I tried back out to
the previous version for each. It turns out that when I reverted to
version 1.7.4-1 of libharfbuzz0, xwin-xdg-menu.exe stopped crashing.
If it matters, both these systems are the Fall Creator's Update
(1709) of Windows 10 64-bit, and I'm running the 32-bit version of
Hopefully someone can track down and fix this recent bug!
Thanks for reporting this.
I can reproduce this problem, but it only seems to occur with 32-bit
(Obviously you also need a recent enough Windows 10 to have the
The actual crash seems to be in fontconfig, e.g. 'fc-query
/usr/share/fonts/microsoft/bahnschrift.ttf' fails in the same way.
Another possible workaround seems to be to blacklist this particular
create a /etc/fonts/conf.d/local.conf containing:
I didn't get very far investigating the problem, as rebuilding the
fontconfig package with the current toolchain seems to be enough to
make the problem go away.
Thanks for the follow-up and narrowing down the problem, Jon.
Interesting that rebuilding fontconfig clears up the issue. Although,
if it's a memory corruption issue, it could just be that the new
toolchain lays things out differently enough that the bug doesn't
manifest itself the same way. It could also be that the new gcc fixes
a compiler or optimizer bug that led to the problem. Perhaps you and
Yaakov could touch base on which toolchain versions you're using and
see if an update to his toolchain may be in order.
Are you using the test version of gcc (7.3.0-1) announced April 11,
or the older release. I've got gcc-core-6.4.0-5 on mine, which I
assume is the latest stable release.
The latest stable release, 6.4.0-5.
Gilles R. Detillieux E-mail: <grdetil@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Spinal Cord Research Centre WWW: http://www.scrc.umanitoba.ca/
Dept. of Physiology and Pathophysiology, Faculty of Health Sciences,
Univ. of Manitoba Winnipeg, MB R3E 0J9 (Canada)
Problem reports: http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Unsubscribe info: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple