Web lists-archives.com

xmgrace fails, cannot find base type1 fonts




Hello,

I am experiencing the same problem mentioned in this post<https://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2018-01/msg00135.html>: xmgrace fails on cygwin64. It simply doesn't start, even if GRACE_HOME is properly set to /usr/share/grace. I believe I've found a fix for this issue; it is associated with recent changes that have occurred in the urw-base35-fonts package.

In detail: xmgrace as currently built tries to use the type 1 fonts in /usr/share/ghostscript/fonts. It appears (?) to catalog them using a font mapping contained in one of its configuration files, named appropriately enough, FontDataBase, which sits in /usr/share/grace/fonts. It contains this:

14
Times-Roman             Times-Roman             n021003l.pfb
Times-Italic            Times-Italic            n021023l.pfb
Times-Bold              Times-Bold              n021004l.pfb
Times-BoldItalic        Times-BoldItalic        n021024l.pfb
Helvetica               Helvetica               n019003l.pfb
Helvetica-Oblique       Helvetica-Oblique       n019023l.pfb
Helvetica-Bold          Helvetica-Bold          n019004l.pfb
Helvetica-BoldOblique   Helvetica-BoldOblique   n019024l.pfb
Courier                 Courier                 n022003l.pfb
Courier-Oblique         Courier-Oblique         n022023l.pfb
Courier-Bold            Courier-Bold            n022004l.pfb
Courier-BoldOblique     Courier-BoldOblique     n022024l.pfb
Symbol                  Symbol                  s050000l.pfb
ZapfDingbats            ZapfDingbats            d050000l.pfb

The font files - the files listed in the rightmost column of this file - seem to belong in the urw-base35-fonts package, indeed this package search<https://cygwin.com/cgi-bin2/package-cat.cgi?file=x86_64%2Furw-base35-fonts%2Furw-base35-fonts-20170801-2&grep=n021003l> finds them there. However they aren't there anymore. They have been renamed and are now in /usr/share/fonts/urw-base35/ under the following names (thanks to Ken Brown):

NimbusRoman-Regular.t1
NimbusRoman-Italic.t1
NimbusRoman-Bold.t1
NimbusRoman-BoldItalic.t1
NimbusSans-Regular.t1
NimbusSans-Italic.t1
NimbusSans-Bold.t1
NimbusSans-BoldItalic.t1
NimbusMonoPS-Regular.t1
NimbusMonoPS-Italic.t1
NimbusMonoPS-Bold.t1
NimbusMonoPS-BoldItalic.t1
StandardSymbolsPS.t1
D050000L.t1

I tried changing the FontDataBase file to list these names instead, but that had no effect. So I:

  *   Removed the old symbolic link /usr/share/grace/fonts/type1, which pointed to /usr/share/ghostscript/fonts.
  *   Created a new one that pointed to /usr/share/fonts/urw-base35.
  *   Within urw-base35, I symlinked each old name to the new name (e.g. n021003l.pfb -> NimbusRoman-Regular.t1, and so on for all 14 fonts).

After doing this, xmgrace fired up no problem. So the package could be rebuilt with awareness of the new font location and names, and a fix for now is to simply relink its font directory and link these names as above.

Best

Kendall Hunter

--
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple