Web lists-archives.com

Re: Cygwin strptime() is missing "%s" which strftime() has

On 07/24/2017 04:28 PM, Lavrentiev, Anton (NIH/NLM/NCBI) [C] wrote:
>> then its use of %s in either of those functions constitutes a _bug_
> Oh really?  Is that why "%s" was added to Cygwin's strftime() lately?

Your mailer is breaking up threads, which is making it very annoying to
follow where your replies are landing.

strftime() has been formatting %s since Oct 2015 (if you can call that
"lately").  In fact, you made me check git history: it was not me that
added it (like I thought, so I must have added it in gnulib instead);
but Brian - in fact, the same Brian who is now working on adding %s to

The point remains: if you want your program to be portable, you should
not use %s.  But if your program is okay with demanding a GNU/Linux
environment rather than sticking to portable code, then Cygwin still
tries to cater to that by providing as many GNU/Linux extensions as
possible, and pointing out where we fall short is appreciated.  But
still, someone has to code it, this is a volunteer effort, and we tend
to scratch our own itches.  The fact that strptime() lagged strftime()
by nearly 2 years in adding %s support is par for the course.  It's not
worth complaining about, and if you want faster action, then submit
patches yourself instead of asking others to do it for you.

Eric Blake, Principal Software Engineer
Red Hat, Inc.           +1-919-301-3266
Virtualization:  qemu.org | libvirt.org