Web lists-archives.com

Re: openssh: privilege separation no longer supported on Cygwin? SURPRISE!

On Wed, 31 May 2017 10:59:38, cyg Simple wrote:
> On 5/31/2017 10:16 AM, Houder wrote:
> > On Wed, 31 May 2017 09:27:02, cyg Simple wrote:
> >
> > [snip]
> >> All of this talk of /etc/passwd leads me to point you to
> >> https://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/ntsec.html.
> >
> > cyg,
> >
> > Do you want me to study that text a second, third, fourth or Xth time ...?
> >
> Yes, especially section
> https://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/ntsec.html#ntsec-mapping where it
> explains that /etc/passwd and /etc/group are now deprecated and it's use
> is for backward compatibility and that you should be using
> /etc/nsswitch.conf[1] instead.  Have you attempted this?
> [1] https://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/ntsec.html#ntsec-mapping-nsswitch

Actually, that text reads:

 = Mapping Windows SIDs to POSIX uid/gid values:

  * Read /etc/passwd and /etc/group files if they exist, just as in the olden
    days, mainly for backward compatibility.

It does not stipulate that these files are no longer supported ... Corinna did
not dare to proclaim them "deprecated".

Do I use the file /etc/nsswitch.conf? Yes, certainly. As shown in:

    (see bottom of post)

Do you want me to drop /etc/{passwd,group} files. Yes, you do. I will not.

Moreover, it is completely irrelevant from a logical point of view  whether
/etc/{passwd,group) or AD is used to maintain the "network administration".